Investment Sr. Associate
The Production Board (TPB)
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2023
We're hiring a Principal to join the investing team at The Production Board, working closely with our CEO Dave Friedberg. About The Production BoardThe Production Board works to "Reimagine Earth" by building and investing in technology businesses across human health, food and agriculture, biomanufacturing, energy, automation, enterprise AI/ML, and consumer markets.TPB makes initial investments in businesses in the Seed and Series A stage, supporting them with follow-on capital and active operational partnership throughout their lifecycle. TPB also runs an active foundry program, building businesses with founders from their earliest stages.TPB takes a science-led and thesis-driven approach to investing, identifying emerging opportunities with the potential to transform markets and upgrade civilization by "connecting the dots" between science and engineering breakthroughs, end-markets, and talent. About The RoleAs an Investment Principal, you'll be working closely with our founder Dave Friedberg and our broader team to develop investment theses, identify, source and invest in aligned businesses, and actively support those businesses as a key partner to management teams and Boards.You'll develop relationships in key scientific, entrepreneur, and investor communities, identifying promising talent and businesses at their earliest stages, driving our investment diligence and selection processes, and helping founders and management teams scale from foundry/seed through growth.While we hope you've already developed a network and some market specialization, you will also have the opportunity to develop theses and explore new sectors, markets and technologies.Day to day, you'll be responsible for:
- Thesis creation: Identifying and tracking science, technology and market trends and developing investment theses that we expect will realize transformative market outcomes.
- Sourcing: Engaging exceptional early stage founders through personal networks and strategic engagement with top-tier talent and investors.
- Investment execution: Designing and executing end-to-end investment processes, including technical diligence, business and operating analyses, financial modeling, market analyses, founder evaluation, customer references, etc.
- Business analysis and communication: Work with founders and the TPB team to track and report on key business metrics, and help develop internal materials to support diligence, portfolio tracking, and reporting.
- Board support and business building: As a board member, board observer, or partner to management, you will actively support founders/CEOs on plans and actions needed to help deliver outcomes.
- Fundraising and transaction support: You will help founders/CEOs develop investor and capital markets relationships and support their capital raising and transaction efforts with presentation development, modeling, and diligence support.
- You love learning. You have repeatedly evolved your technical, scientific, and investing interests and love to stay ahead of the game. You've stayed close to innovators driving the next leaps forward in AI/ML, advanced life sciences, energy, and other relevant scientific and engineering sectors.
- You can develop unique insights from observation and engagement. Due to your access and keen analytical ability, you derive early insights into where market transformation may be possible as new technologies are developed/adopted.
- You've built unique relationships with exceptional founders and investors. You have trusted relationships and credibility with game-changing scientists, innovators, and investors. When new investment opportunities arise, you get the call to help.
- You're engineering investing. You view venture through an engineer's lens, leveraging new tools and data sets to build strategic sourcing and analytical machines.
- You know the pain of business building. You have worked through failure and success, realizing outcomes and learning important lessons that help inform your advice and support to entrepreneurs and investors.
- You're technical. By training and inclination, you understand the concepts and technologies at the bleeding edge of trends in computing, life sciences, or another specialty field.
- You're deeply analytical. You've seen what makes great businesses from an investor's perspective and have the financial, operational and technical toolkit to recognize the metrics that move the needle ahead of the market. You seek out qualitative data to complement your quantitative strengths. You adapt your conclusions into higher order viewpoints and constantly update them based on new information.
- You're hungry and competitive. You're driven to create and be a core part of an evolving firm. You want to help build world-changing businesses for the long haul, and sustain and improve life on this planet, not just "do deals".
- You seek the truth. You ask hard questions, are comfortable with debate, and seek objective answers to the toughest problems.
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD (a plus) in engineering, computer science, biology, or other technical discipline
- A track record in early stage venture investing in software and/or life sciences, as an active angel investor or at an investment firm
- Operating experience a strong plus